Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS)
Duodenal switch surgery is a combination of a gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery. It is one of the more rare primary treatments for morbid obesity. The procedure can be done as a revision procedure after a gastric band surgery or a gastric sleeve surgery.
The first part of the Duodenal Switch is to perform a Gastric Sleeve by stapling and removing about 70% of the stomach. Then a long intestinal bypass similar to but much longer than a gastric bypass is performed bypassing the duodenum and large part of small intestine. This prevents the bile and digestive juices to only start processing the food when it gets further down the intestine resulting in less caloric absorption. Because of the longer period between eating and digestion of food, the food passes to the colon faster, and the patient doesn’t process the full amount of calories he or she normally would have.
Duodenal Switch Advantages
- This procedure has the best results for long term weight loss among all bariatric procedures with published results over 75% of excess weight loss long term.
- Resolution of obesity related health problems such as Type 2 Diabetes is the highest with this procedure and in some studies is about 98% resolution of the diabetes is recorded.
- Is Duodenal Switch Right for You?
Which type of weight-loss surgery is best for you, depends on your specific situation. The best way to determine if you would benefit from duodenal switch procedure would be to meet with Dr. Ganta in a free evaluation or a full consultation. The procedure requires a longer hospital stay as compared to other bariatric surgeries and may need 2 night stay. It also has a greater potential to cause protein deficiencies and long-term deficiencies in a number of vitamin and minerals, i.e. iron, calcium, zinc, fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin D especially if patient is not adhering to the recommended vitamin regimen.
Recovery from Duodenal switch procedure:
- Patients are admitted on the morning of surgery typically 2 hours before the scheduled procedure
- After preoperative process you are evaluated by the registered nurse and anesthesia team
- Procedure is then performed under full general anesthesia and takes approximately 4 hours.
- Dr. Ganta believes that the procedure should not be rushed and adequate time should be spent in performing every procedure with precision and meticulousness to help accomplish an excellent recovery and result.
- Most patients are discharged home after 2 days.
- Return to work times may vary but many patients return to routine activities in about 2 weeks.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch
- Expected weight loss results vary widely but typically are reported in the 75-100% of excess weight loss range at 18 months after the surgery.
- It can resolve obesity related diseases like Diabetes type 2, high blood pressure and sleep apnea.
- Because of significant weight loss, patients may find relief from arthritic pains from joints improving their mobility and ability to exercise.
Life after Duodenal switch surgery
One of the most rewarding aspects of my practice is being able to witness the transformation that occurs after surgery and take part in your joy and pride of being healthy, active and living again the way you always dreamt of living. Duodenal switch offers less restriction as it has significant malabsorption. We offer comprehensive bariatric care with support groups, follow-up visits, and continued education series to our patients and monitor their progress.
Cost of Duodenal switch surgery in Austin
A decision to undergo duodenal switch requires serious commitment emotionally and financially. The cost may be a barrier for many patients. Many insurance plans do not cover the duodenal switch surgery. To learn more about the cost of a duodenal switch in our practice please contact us at 512-257-2425.