The Gastric Sleeve (also known as the sleeve gastrectomy or vertical sleeve gastrectomy) procedure that reduces weight primarily through restriction, or creating a smaller stomach. It is believed that gastric sleeve significantly reduce the production of the “hunger hormone” ghrelin, which reduces the amount of hunger patients feel after the surgery. Dr. Sashi Ganta is one of the most experienced gastric sleeve surgeons in Austin and was among the first surgeons to perform gastric sleeve surgery in Austin. He had been performing the Sleeve procedures since 2006 in his Austin Bariatric Surgery practice.
The gastric sleeve is performed as a minimally invasive laparoscopic procedure. This approach leads to reduced pain and scarring and faster recovery. The laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve involves removing about 80% of the stomach, which creates a “sleeve” of your stomach –making it the size and shape of a small banana. The new stomach can hold about 3-4 ounces, resulting in significant restriction which leads to weight loss. The remainder of the stomach is removed, thereby removing most of the hunger hormone producing part of the stomach.
Single incision or SILS approach
Dr. Sashi Ganta is one of the few surgeons in the country to offer the TRUE SINGLE INCISION WITH NO VISIBLE SCAR approach for Gastric Sleeve to suitable patients. Dr. Sashi Ganta pioneered the SILS approach for lap band and is believed to be the first surgeon in Texas to perform the Lapband using trans-umbilical SILS approach in September of 2008. Surgeons from across the country visited Austin to train in the SILS approach from Dr. Ganta and patients travel to Austin from many other states to have the procedure performed by Dr. Ganta. This remarkable technique involves complete performance of the gastric sleeve procedure via one small incision at the belly button leaving no visible scars on the abdomen. This new technique of Trans-umbilical Gastric Sleeve allows patients to have an opportunity for significantly improved cosmetic results and possibly less pain with a faster recovery.
All patients are not candidates for this approach. Results can vary and are not guaranteed even for patients determined to be candidates before the surgery.
Gastric Sleeve Advantages
- Laparoscopic approach leads to less pain, fast recovery and minimal scarring in patient’s post-surgery
- This is a restrictive bariatric procedure, leading to excellent weight loss
- Surgery also reduces “ghrelin”- hunger hormone production
- Surgery also is believed to dramatically improve various metabolic functions of the body so blood sugar control improves, sometimes the diabetes improves significantly such that patient no longer needs medications and able to maintain normal blood sugars and normal A1c levels
- This is a safe, reliable and effective procedure
- Gastric sleeve has far fewer side effects as compared to gastric bypass
Is Gastric Sleeve Right for You?
Which type of weight-loss surgery is best for you, depends on your specific situation with health and your goals. Dr. Ganta will take many factors into account, including your body mass index, your eating habits, your health problems, any previous surgeries and the risks of each procedure. The best way to determine if you would benefit from gastric sleeve procedure would be to meet with Dr. Ganta in a free evaluation or a full consultation. The following are some general criteria that are followed by most bariatric surgeons specializing in the gastric sleeve surgery.
- BMI over 40 with or without any obesity related health problems
- BMI 30-40 with weight related health issues
Recovery from Gastric Sleeve Procedure:
- Patients are admitted on the morning of surgery typically 2 hours before the scheduled procedure
- After preoperative process you are evaluated by the registered nurse and anesthesia team
- Procedure is then performed under full general anesthesia and takes approximately 60-90 minutes. Everyone's procedure is a bit different based on anatomy and requirements.
- Dr. Ganta believes that the procedure should not be rushed and adequate time should be spent in performing every procedure with precision and meticulousness to help accomplish an excellent recovery and result.
- Most patients are discharged home the next afternoon once clear liquid diet is tolerated.
- Return to work times may vary but many patients return to routine activities in about a week.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve
- Expected weight loss results vary widely depending on various factors including ability to exercise and follow the dietary recommendations. Typical gastric sleeve results are reported in the 55-65% of excess weight loss range at 1 year after the surgery. Many patients in our practice have accomplished 75% to 95% of excess weight loss in 1-2 years after the surgery.
- The procedure is less likely to cause nutrition complications such as malabsorption of vitamins.
- Minimal long term complications are expected with the Gastric sleeve procedure.
- It may improve fertility of women, the chances to conceive and delivery of healthy babies.
- It can resolve obesity related diseases like Diabetes type 2, high blood pressure and sleep apnea.
- Because of significant weight loss, patients may find relief from arthritic pains from joints improving their mobility and ability to exercise.
Life after gastric sleeve surgery
One of the most rewarding aspects of my practice is being able to witness the transformation that occurs after surgery and take part in your joy and pride of being healthy, active and living again the way you always dreamt of living. We offer comprehensive bariatric care with support groups, follow-up visits, and continued education series to our patients and monitor their progress. We will do everything we can to ensure the most successful long term weight loss results as you possibly could achieve.
Cost of gastric sleeve surgery in Austin
Undergoing a laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy requires serious commitment emotionally and financially. The cost may be a barrier for many patients and find themselves unable to finance their procedure. We understand the monetary concerns that bariatric surgery patients have, and we are glad to help explore insurance coverage and other ways to finance their procedures. To learn more about the cost of a gastric sleeve in our practice please contact us at 512-257-2425.