The Roux en-Y Gastric Bypass had long been considered the “gold standard” for obesity surgery and depending on your unique needs, the gastric bypass can be an excellent tool for gaining long-term control of weight.
In gastric bypass surgery, Dr. Ganta staples off a large section of the stomach, creating a tiny stomach pouch, approximately one ounce or 30 milliliters in volume. Next, the first portion of the small intestine is divided, and the bottom end of the divided small intestine is brought up and connected to the newly created small stomach pouch. The procedure is completed by connecting the top portion of the divided small intestine to the small intestine further down so that the stomach acids and digestive enzymes from the bypassed stomach and first portion of small intestine will eventually mix with the food.
When the pouch fills with food a feeling of fullness occurs. The reconnected intestine causes the food to bypass part of the intestine so some of the nutrients and calories in food will not be absorbed. Thus, patients lose weight.
Gastric Bypass Advantages
- The procedure usually leads to a long-term weight loss (60 to 80 percent excess weight loss)
- It helps restrict the amount of food that can be consumed.
- Gastric bypass is believed to dramatically improve various metabolic functions of the body so blood sugar control improves and many times the diabetes improves significantly such that patient no longer needs medications and able to maintain normal blood sugars and normal A1c levels.
- It is also an excellent surgery for patients with high cholesterol and also helps with acid reflux.
- Helps produce favorable changes in gut hormones including significant reduction in 'ghrelin" production and reduces appetite and enhances satiety.
Is Gastric Bypass Right for You?
Whether Gastric bypass surgery is best for you or not depends on your specific situation with health and your goals. Dr. Ganta will take many factors into account, including your body mass index, eating habits, your health problems, any previous surgeries and the risks of each procedure. The best way to determine if you would benefit from gastric bypass procedure would be to meet with Dr. Ganta in a free evaluation or a full consultation. In general, gastric bypass could be an option for you if:
- Efforts to lose weight with diet and exercise have been unsuccessful
- Your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher (extreme obesity)
- Your BMI is 35 to 39.9 (obesity) and you have a serious weight-related health problem, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or severe sleep apnea
Recovery from Gastric Bypass Procedure:
- Patients are admitted on the morning of surgery typically 2 hours before the scheduled procedure
- After preoperative process you are evaluated by the registered nurse and anesthesia team
- Procedure is then performed under full general anesthesia and takes approximately 2 hours.
- Dr. Ganta believes that the procedure should not be rushed and adequate time should be spent in performing every procedure with precision and meticulousness to help accomplish an excellent recovery and result.
- Most patients are discharged home in 1 to 2 days once clear liquid diet is tolerated.
- Return to work times may vary but many patients return to routine activities in about 1 to 2 weeks.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
- Expected weight loss results vary widely depending on various factors including ability to exercise and follow the dietary recommendations. Typical gastric bypass results are reported in the 65-85% of excess weight loss range at 1 year after the surgery. Many patients in our practice have accomplished 75% to 95% of excess weight loss in 1-2 years after the surgery.
- It may improve fertility of women, the chances to conceive and delivery of healthy babies.
- It can resolve obesity related diseases like Diabetes type 2, high blood pressure and sleep apnea.
- Because of significant weight loss, patients may find relief from arthritic pains from joints improving their mobility and ability to exercise.
Life after gastric bypass surgery
One of the most rewarding aspects of my practice is being able to witness the transformation that occurs after surgery and take part in your joy and pride of being healthy, active and living again the way you always dreamt of living. We offer comprehensive bariatric care with support groups, follow-up visits, and continued education series to our patients and monitor their progress. We will do everything we can to ensure the most successful long term weight loss results as you possibly could achieve.
Cost of gastric bypass surgery in Austin
A decision to undergo gastric bypass requires serious commitment emotionally and financially. The cost may be a barrier for many patients. We understand the monetary concerns that bariatric surgery patients have, and we are glad to help with insurance coverage and other methods to finance the life saving procedure. To learn more about the cost of a gastric bypass in our practice please contact us at 512-257-2425.