Nuself Bariatrics is dedicated to helping patients achieve their long term weight loss goals for healthier and happier lives. We are happy to offer effective non-surgical alternatives for patients who are not ready for or do not need surgical options. The Gastric Balloon is an innovative weight loss procedure when combined with Nuself lifestyle program could deliver great results.
What is the Gastric Balloon Procedure?
The gastric balloon is a non-surgical weight loss method that had been proven in clinical studies to help people lose weight and keep it off. There are 3 gastric balloon systems that are FDA approved. At our practice, we offer the Obalon gastric balloon system.
- OBALON™ Balloon System – The first and only FDA approved gastric balloon packaged in a swallowable capsule. Placement of balloons does not require sedation and are performed under x-ray monitoring. Three balloons are placed at different times few weeks apart and inflated with special gas mixture for a sustained weight loss. All balloons are removed by endoscopy under sedation 6 months after placing the first balloon.
- ORBERA™ – A single balloon, inserted via endoscopy while the patient is sedated with no surgical incisions. The balloon is then filled with a saline solution.
- ReShape® – A double balloon system is inserted via endoscopy by mouth while the patient is sedation. The balloon is then filled with a saline solution.
Gastric Balloon Procedure Advantages
- Gastric Balloon is an innovative option for patients who are not interested in surgery or are not eligible for surgical procedures.
- The insertion typically takes less than 10 minutes each time. While in place it safely takes up space in your stomach, which will reduce your appetite and enable you to eat smaller portions. You may go about your normal activities as soon as the insertion is complete. No endoscopy or sedation required for the insertion.
- Less side effects of nausea and balloon intolerance than the saline filled balloons.
- Non permanent option and helps you get a jump start on your weight loss.
Is Gastric Balloon right for you?
- The Gastric Balloon is a powerful tool in starting a life-long commitment to a healthier self, and in order to achieve long term success it is essential that you follow your nutrition and exercise guidelines recommended by our team. Along with our follow up and support, the lifestyle that you develop during the six months the balloon is in place will help you to maintain long term weight loss after the balloon is removed.
- The ideal candidate is motivated, has a BMI between 30 and 40 and is willing to commit to our weight loss program guidelines.
- The best way to determine if you would benefit from gastric balloon procedure would be to meet with Dr. Ganta in a free evaluation or a full consultation.
Recovery from Gastric Balloon procedure?
Insertion procedure does not normally require any sedation and is a quick 10 min procedure. Majority of our patients get the balloon inserted on their way to work and have an uneventful rest of the day. Removal of the balloons require endoscopy under sedation. Recovery from endoscopy is less than a day and you would need someone to drive you home after the procedure.
The Benefits of the Obalon Balloon System
- Balloon is swallowed in capsule form under x ray monitoring without sedation taking about 10 minutes
- Non-surgical weight-loss method and reversible
- Safe and effective with minimal side effects
Life after Gastric balloon with Obalon
Comprehensive program such as Nuself bariatrics had been shown in clinical studies to help patients lose, on average, twice as much weight with the gastric balloon compared with patients using diet and exercise alone. Clinical trial reports indicate that most patients maintained their weight loss, or lost more weight in 6 months following removal of the balloons.
Cost of Gastric balloon with Obalon
The cost may be a barrier for many patients and find themselves unable to finance their procedure. Insurance policies do not cover this procedure. To learn more about the cost of the Obalon gastric balloon in our practice please contact us at 512-257-2425.